You are practical with your $$$, you are already booking with our affordable hostel. Here are a few additional money saving tips amidst your travels….
1. Check out groupon.com. This site is springing with super deals & its popularity is ever-growing. They also have the newly featured Now! Deals where you can get an immediate discount on restaurants, bars, attractions & much more. This is an excellent way to plan ahead and save.
Chicago has a rich history of gangsters. Here at the Chicago Getaway Hostel, we know this and can recommend some really cool historic sites & tours….
!! BRACE YOURSELF !!
Let us help you prepare . . .
As you know Chicago is gearing up for a severe weather storm. 24″ of snow are possible. . . and we urge you to follow a few tips to stay safe in this potentially hazardous snow storm
Stock up on beverages and food at the Lincoln Park Market
- Stay away from drivers who cannot drive in the summer let alone a BLIZZARD!
- Wear protective gear, IE: Jacket, Gloves, 180′s or ear muffs- perhaps some snow pants? (helmets don’t count)
- Keep a shovel in your car, well that is if you have a car
- Call all of your loved ones, let them know you’re in the ONE ALL, END ALL blizzard of Chicago!
- Make a quick trip to the Lincoln Park Market to grab some staples. Food that is.
- Stock up on adult beverages, you’re going to be locked up for quite some time.
- Dress warmly
- Make sure you have food for the day
- Make sure your car isn’t parked in a “snow zone”
- Make necessary travel arrangements and modifications
- Extend your stay at the Chicago Getaway Hostel
- Stay away from Lake Michigan, waves in excess of 25 feet expected
- Take the CTA whenever possible
1967 Blizzard: Early in the storm a CTA bus is towed after getting stuck on Michigan Avenue at Walton Street in Chicago.
Visit the CTA at www.transitchicago.com–for up to date travel delays and information
How Does the storm measure up?!
Groundhog Day Blizzard of 2011 could rank as one of Chicago’s top 5 snowstorms
1) 23.0″ 1967 January 26-27
2) 21.6″ 1999 January 1-3
3) 19.2″ 1930 March 25-26
4) 18.8″ 1979 January 13-14
5) 16.2″ 1931 March 7-8
?) 2011 February 1-2
Christmas Day Recommendations- hostel/style
Christmas Day- December 25, 2010 Read more
Mat Meadows (General Manager):
* Mat picks Wilde. This is an Irish bar/restaurant located in Chicago’s must-visit Lakeview neighborhood. He recommends their signature Mac-n-Cheese( don’t forget the meatloaf too!), a very popular dish on their menu. This place has a cool literary theme that even boasts a library and a fireplace you can dine next to, check this place out north on Broadway Ave.
We are a city of neighborhoods, and this makes our town a diverse and beautiful playground for travel. Here are just a few excellent locals to experience…
Lakeview, home of The Chicago Cubs, about a dozen vintage clothing shops, record stores, restaurants, an independent film theater, a myriad of bars, and the list goes on and on. This neighborhood is within walking distance to the hostel (just make a left on Clark St.). We recommend exploring this one.
Coming to the city? The Chicago Getaway Hostel has some great discounts for guests. We just got an outstanding deal on CityPASS which we will be selling for $69.00 (adult ticket) and $59 (for children). This gives you access to 5 infamous attractions for a cheaper price. The original combined attraction price would be $134.62, so you are saving a remarkable 49%. Let’s check out the attractions:
Dear Traveler, we will let you in on a little secret. Part of why we are the best hostel in Chicago is because of our beautiful neighborhood, Lincoln Park. In fact, our neighborhood is better than downtown in so many ways. Come see why we were voted the 5th best hostel in the U.S. for the month of May!
We will let you in on a few tips when it comes to shopping hip. Conveniently, these spots are located on the northside of our beautiful city, and most are close to our hostel. Bring a few bucks and you’ll be looking as chic as a Wicker Park hipster…
This place is cool. It sells an average of 1500 t-shirts a week. They have a myriad of designs for customizable tees, with categories such as: bands, authors, sports, vintage, sex, and even poop. They also have the largest selection of Converse All-Stars in the city. Check out Strange Cargo and how to get there from our hostel.
Another spot you guys & gals have to check out is the Belmont Army, and its within walking distance from our hostel. They’ve got 4 floors of neat stuff ranging from vintage apparel to cool & colorful shoes. This place has potential to be pricey, but they always some good sales that make them worth checking out.
I was just let in on a semi-hidden gem. I think you should check this place out too, Clothes Optional really delivers when it comes to price and selection. Did you ever wonder who was raiding thrift stores for all the coolest stuff before you got there? This place has got all the hand-picked fashion from the 50′s to the 80′s. This place is also within walking distance from our hostel.
On the subject of thrift stores, you may as well check out Ragstock as well. Its real close to the Belmont Army and there’s a bunch of cool places to eat, shop, and drink in the Belmont & Clark area. They’ve got a ton of cool retro accessories and vintage clothing. Personally, I find all my atrocious sweaters there…
You probably already know of Chicago’s rich legacy of gangsters. However, if you’re interested in knowing more on the extensive subject of infamous criminals, hop on the tour bus and take a trip with Untouchable Tours! You will gain knowledge of the 1920s and 30s Prohibition Era while visiting a vast array of landmarks including: the Biograph Theater, Holy Name Cathedral, as well as the site of the Valentine’s Day Massacre. Read more