Taste the famous cuisine of our city at any of these highly recommended joints…
1. Hot Dog! There are some great options for encased meats and the famous Chicago Style Dog (yellow mustard, chopped white onion, neon green relish, tomato slices, kosher dill pickle spear, “sport peppers”, celery salt, on a sesame seed bun). We recommend our neighborhood Chicago Doghouse for their delicious gourmet take on hot dogs (also, get the frips, a cross between a french frie & a potato chip). Also, check out the famous Hot Doug’s which is notorious for long lines but most excellent hot dogs (they also serve duck fat fries on weekends). Avg. hot dog: $5.
2. Pizza Party! Pizza enthusiasts are in luck with our location. Our hostel is just a short walk from award-winning Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria. They’re butter crust and savory sauce on top will dazzle your taste buds. In addition, a little further up Lincoln Ave. is Gino’s East, they provide another classic take on Chicago’s renowned deep dish style pizza and open early for lunch. Avg pizza: $20.
3. Bring on the Beef! Italian beef is another famous Chicago food. The only hard part about eating one of these, is deciding where to get one. Al’s Beef is a top contender and serves up some big, delicious sandwiches with your choice of Giardiniera (seasoned hot peppers). Portillo’s is also a safe bet, they’re menu consists of everything from famous itlaian beefs to decadent milk shakes. Avg italian beef: $7.50.
4. Hamburger Paradise! Chicago’s burger scene seems to grow each day. This is definitely a good thing as Chicago’s Kuma’s Corner expanded and opened Kuma’s II. Just a few minutes walk from our front door, these massively mouth-watering burgers named after heavy metal bands. Don’t be dissuaded by sandwiches called Pantera (½ pound burger served with Roasted Pablano Pepper, Bacon, Cheddar Cheese and Monetary Jack Cheese Ranchero Sauce and Tortilla Strips )or Pig Destroyer (pulled pork on a pretzel roll) Avg burger: $10.
5. Super Tacos! You may not have known this, but Chicago is loaded with excellent taquerias. Check out the hip eatery, Big Star for amazing pork belly tacos , $3 beers and $3 shots over in Wicker Park. Also, a neighborhood option is Angela’s Burrito House. Angela’s serves authentic style tacos, tortas, & burritos. Try their al pastor (marinated pork) or their California Burrito (avocado) and they are open late. Avg taco: $3.